This is the second of a four part series on how Venture Scanner enables corporations to research, identify, and connect with innovative companies. In the first post, we laid out our four-step process, and in this post we will dive into the first step in the process.
Typically our clients approach us with a need to make sense of an emerging sector and to identify potential strategic partners within that sector. The first step in the Venture Scanner process to fulfill this need is to exhaustively scan and map out the categories and companies in the sector.
The reason to start by exhaustively scanning is twofold:
- Observe emerging trends across the full set of companies in the sector that could shed light on opportunities and threats
- Be complete in your search for strategic partners, versus immediately gravitating towards the handful of the most well-known companies
Three things come together to enable us to do this in a way that sets us apart from any other services:
- Extensive database of companies from all around the world that is continuously refreshed
- Proprietary clustering technology that looks for similarities amongst companies
- Dedicated analysts who immerse themselves in the emerging sectors and leverage our technology to fulfill our clients’ specific needs
The output of our scanning process is a dynamic sector landscape map that lays out the categories in the sector, the companies, and data such as company summaries, funding, and headcount. In addition, both our analysts and our technology score the companies within each category and identify the companies that are outperforming or underperforming their peers. The sector landscape map is then continuously refreshed with new companies and material events like new financings, enabling it to be the one-stop shop for our clients to keep up with the sector in an ongoing fashion. As an example, below is the screenshot of the landscape map for the Connected Transportation sector.
Join us next week as we go into steps 2 and 3 in our process where we zoom into specific categories of interest on the sector landscape map that match our clients’ interests and leverage our data, analyst insights, and clients’ strategic objectives to shortlist a set of companies to engage with or follow.
Venture Scanner enables corporations to research, identify, and connect with the most innovative technologies and companies. We do this through a unique combination of our data, technology, and expert analysts. Reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.